Reports from Honduras

Daily Report #1

Daily Report #2

Daily Report #3

Daily Report #4

Daily Report #5

Daily Report #6

Daily Report #7

Daily Report #8

Daily report #9

Daily Report #10

Daily Report #11


Return to Daily Reports

Return to CF Home


Canadian members of the CF / Quixote Centre delegation to Honduras


Irene Lanzinger – President of the British Columbia Teachers Federation (BCTF) currently on leave from the Vancouver school district where she is a teacher of Math and Physics;


Larry Kuehn – Director of Research at the BCTF and responsible for the BCTF International Solidarity Programme.


Scott Marshall – Executive Officer on the Provincial Executive of the Ontario Secondary Schools Teachers Federation (OSSTF) was a Special Education teacher from 1997-2004 with the Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board before taking up his union duties;


Domenic Bellissimo – OSSTF Executive Assistant and responsible for the OSSTF Human Rights Committee and for International Programmes;


Jackie McVicar – Breaking The Silence (BTS) Coordinator and a member of the Atlantic Region Solidarity Network (ARSN).


Nov 25 - Dec 2, 2009

Honduras Human Rights Observers Daily Reports

A bi-national delegation of Canadian and US representatives from labour, human rights, and faith-based organizations is in Honduras to conduct human rights accompaniment and observation at the time of the country’s controversial elections on November 29. The bi-national delegation has been co-organized along with the Quixote Centre in the U.S. (that has organized 7 previous delegations since the June 28 military-backed coup). The delegation’s members hope that their presence will mitigate human rights violations by the Honduran military and police, and that they will be able to document any violations that occur. The team is posting regular reports which appear below, with the most recent report on the top. The members of the delegation are listed in the left column.

Daily Report #11 - Scott Marshall

Scott’s second report from San Pedro Sula Nov. 29 Election day

We witnessed some significant events after my initial email this afternoon. Our plan was to visit a few of the polling stations after I first e-mailed you, however when we stepped outside to wait for our transportation we saw people running through the streets again, away from the police. We could see a police helicopter circling in the air. The police followed behind them and stopped about a block away from where we were standing (5 or 6 of us) waiting for our van. They fired 2 tear gas cylinders at us, 1 landing right beside us. We managed to get back into the hotel safely, with some exposure to the tear gas.

After the tear gas dispersed we got back into the van and drove to a police station where we believed they were detaining some protestors from the afternoon march. When we arrived some other human rights advocates had arrived at the station to assist with the release of the detained citizens. We saw a young man (probably 21 years old) being released from the police station. His eyes were swollen shut (he said he was sprayed with tear gas), and his head was bleeding and his shoulder limp.

He told us he had been hit and stomped on by the police when they arrested him at the demonstration. We then drove to another police station where we were told more protesters were being detained, but were advised by police that no one was there. It is difficult to tell whether the police are being truthful or not. We are now back at the hotel and the streets are somewhat quieter. We plan to head back to the capital tomorrow.

Tom is going to email some video of the afternoon events, and we have some pictures as well.

This was a very tense day in the city of San Pedro Sula.



Top of Page